#teachingavarosetl: Making Mistakes can create colourful artwork.

Hello Daddies & Mommies, 

How many of you have a little one who is afraid / terrified of making mistakes? I know this little strong willed daughter of mine can get very emotional when she makes mistake. So I searched high and low, trying to find ways to teach her that making mistakes is alright, making mistakes can help us grow better. Here’s a simple activity we did, to understand that making mistakes can turn things beautiful. 

Things you need: 
- Blank piece of paper
- Crayons
- Communication. 

Step 1. 

Give your little one a blank piece of paper. 
- I told AR this piece of paper represents your brain.. 



Step 2. 

Crumple the paper. 
- I asked AR how does she feel when she makes mistakes. She replied “angry and frustrated”. So I told her to show me by crumpling up the piece of paper. 



Step 3.

Flatten out the paper and talk. 
- So I asked AR, what do you see on the paper? She replied “It’s wrinkly” (Give them some time to see how the brain / paper looks different..) 



Step 4. 

Explain. 
- I told AR that these lines represent new connection that grow in our brains. We learn from our mistakes thus our brains growing and learning as well. 

Step 5.

Colour. 
- Using crayons, we traced the wrinkled lines. And I explained to her that one mistake can make new connections to our brains.



Step 6. 

A master piece. 

- At the end of everything, there is a masterpiece to hang on her wall of art. 



Next time when your little one seems overwhelmed from a mistake. Remind them about this activity. Talk about how beautiful and colourful it can be when you make mistakes and learn from it. 

Till the next post. 

- CC

Comments

Popular Posts